It’s time to give these bats a voice. Rimba’s media statement: Deforestation for Durian Plantations Poses Serious Long-term Risks to Industry’s Productivity and Profitability calls others to action on behalf of durian pollinators. The Star recently published an article, Durian farmers pay the price in the end, highlighting Rimba’s work, reaching more than 7 million unique visitors.
Malay Mail published another supporting article, Weighing in on bats and durians, which boasts over 3 million unique visitors not including the printed version.
The Rimba news release emphasizes the serious impact of deforestation-driven durian expansion to all relevant parties. They call on the Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-based Industry, the Department of Agriculture, the wider durian industry, and individual durian farmers to “think long-term and pursue good agricultural practices for growing durian that is sustainable, contributes to healthy ecosystems, and provides a future for the Malaysian durian industry and Malaysian durian lovers.”
The overall objective of their plan is to promote coordinated action worldwide to safeguard wild and managed pollinators and promote the sustainable use of pollination services, which are vital to both ecosystems and agriculture. We are delighted to see Rimba’s efforts on behalf of bats and the economies they support getting this well deserved attention. Let’s use our voices to amplify the message!
Our combined voices can make a difference. Choose any or all means of contact to reach out to The Star and Malay Mail editors to thank them for sharing this important reporting in your own words. Editors do take notice. Remember, your response can be very simple such as, “I greatly appreciate your support of bats and protection of sustainable durian production.” Editors just need to know you like or dislike an article in order for you to have impact. It’s numbers that count. Bats need all of you!
- Contact and thank The Star staff
- firstname.lastname@example.org, Sim Leoi Leoi, Editor
- email@example.com, Asohan Aryaduray, Online Senior Editor
- firstname.lastname@example.org, Mei Mei Chu, author of Durian farmers pay the price in the end
- Facebook @thestaronline (tag @rimbaresearch too!)
- Contact and thank Malay Mail staff
- email@example.com, Joan Lau and Datuk Wong Sai Wan, Editors,
- firstname.lastname@example.org, Quek Yew Aun’s Facebook page, Quek Yew Aun, author of Weighing in on bats and durians
- Facebook @malaymaildotcom (tag @rimbaresearch too!)